Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Signed Out

Yes---after five weeks (practically to the hour) at HUP, Ruth traveled by ambulance to the brand-new Reading Hospital for Post-Acute Rehabilitation. The facility opened on October 20.

I don't know who was praying, but she slept most of the way, so THANK YOU Lord.

Our first impressions are great; we had good nurses, a great doctor who told us and asked us a lot, and they do serve lemon with their hot tea (an absolute must). Naomi was right; we'll miss the familiar faces in Philly and all their kindnesses. But Ruth really is ready for the next stage. She'll hit the ground running tomorrow (figuratively speaking) with different rehab evaluations and exercises from 9:30 to 3:30. They warned her that they fully expect to wear her out, but that patients are always so happy after a couple of days that they can do so many things again. Pray, as it will be quite a challenge. Pray especially that they will control her pain in the right way at the right time so that won't stand in the way of progress. Just sitting in a wheelchair yesterday became unbearable after an hour and a half. I mean, when it's your pelvis that was the broken part ...

The doctor explained their goals for this stay: this will NOT be to get her walking or anything. Her right arm and leg must be non-weight-bearing for 12 more weeks. At this point, they will be teaching her how to do the basics in taking care of herself and getting around the first floor of our home: sitting up, transferring to a wheelchair, to a commode, getting dressed, hygeine, etc. I asked for a rough time estimate, knowing that he didn't know much yet, and promising I would not hold him to it. He thinks she will be there for two to three weeks. I dangled Thanksgiving in front of her as carrot/incentive.

I of course will be asking them if they can also get her to chop onions (they make me tear up so) and darn my socks again.

Long day, gotta crash, thank you all again for making Ruth, the kids and me a part of your day and your thoughts.

She is still very tired. If you wouldn't mind, check with me or Priscilla before planning a visit.

We love you
Brian

8 comments:

  1. Reading this made a special smile come across my face..... Rob came home from Reading Rehab ONE day before Thanksgiving... and we did get to enjoy THAT holiday with him at home and recovering in our home :)
    This is my prayer for all of you.

    I pray constantly for all of you knowing that this has changed all of your lives forever ... but also knowing that God will provide and care for each and every need.

    So thankful to hear that she is now in the hands of rehab. :)
    Praising God again tonight for the sparing of her life,
    Susan Kanowicz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks be to God! It is going to be a lot of very hard work but she is moving down the hill of this event! I am so happy for you guys. I know the joy of reaching a place like this and that you feel God faithfulness through it all.
    Brian-give yourself some care and rest now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, your humor makes me laugh!! Ruth will need that. :) I am SO glad that Ruth is closer to us!! PRAISING our LORD for His mercy and grace shown to you and us! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out. Please call me to let me know a number I can reach Ruth.
    Much love and prayers to you all,
    Mercer's :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Yes, Part II in this Triathalon of recovery. We are SO THANKFUL to know she is closer by and ready (albeit tired) for the challenge of working hard at rehab. Should we call 'Ruth's' cell phone to see if she's up for a visit later in the week? Say, Saturday?
    heb+1 for the Boyers

    ReplyDelete
  5. thinking of all of you at this 3:00pm hour ...wondering hwo the first day went and if she is slam worn out by now ...

    praying for all of you

    susan Kanowicz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excited to hear of the move!

    And yes rehab means, she's now a working woman!

    Praying for strength and peace for all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise the Lord! We will be praying for strength for you, Ruth! And may the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus!!
    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO glad for such good news. Rehab is hard work...my dad was told he would be there for 3-6 months after his encephalitis and walked out in 13 days! I know she has limitations for weight-bearing but will be praying for strength and patience as she pursues her new job in new surroundings. She is sure to be a blessing to those around her as always.

    ReplyDelete