Saturday, October 10, 2009

Friday & Saturday

Yesterday (Friday) was the operation on mom's arm- she was in surgery for 9 hours...

First they checked her abdomen again. Apparently Wednesday was only a temporary closure, so they flushed her out again and, although they planned to check again in a few days, they said she looked good enough to close permanently!
The surgery on her arm took a long time; she had one break in her elbow and one break on her upper arm. They said all went well, and they inserted a metal plate in one (?) of the breaks.
We waited a while until we could see her. She looked good; her face is finally less swollen, although not back to normal. She is back in a regular bed for now.
She was in some pain because of the surgery; her heart rate was up, and she was grimacing a lot when I was in. She was trying so hard to open her eyes when she heard voices, but they kept closing.
The other three kids left around 6 with a friend, and I was picked up later. Dad stayed overnight again. Please pray for a better sleeping arrangement for him- the options are either a hotel, or a bench by the elevator....
He talked to someone yesterday who works with an organization for ICU families- hopefully a housing arrangement will work out through them.
Mom is now breathing almost on her own! They had hoped to remove her tube last night; not sure if that happened. They were thinking about letting her wake up some so she could breath independently for a while! It is even a possibility that dad could talk with her a bit this afternoon!!!
Haven't heard if that has happened yet.
Still not sure about her pelvis surgery, and that need to happen before they finish her leg. They are just saying sometime next week.
Each day she is improving! We really are hearing only good news. She has many months of recovery ahead of her, but it could be so much worse.
Thanks again so much for all your precious prayers and offers of rides, etc.

Love,
the Jackinses

3 comments:

  1. I am SO happy for you! Good news is great!

    Continuing to pray,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful for the good news about your mom's steady step-by-step process of recovery.

    One of my first memories post-accident is "heavy eyelids" - I tried to look at Jerry or a nurse, but my eyes just won't stay open. I remember this happening a few times.

    The wound on my upper left leg wasn't closed right away either, not until they were sure they had all the debris out of it.

    One thing I wish about my sedated time is that I had more pictures of it. I have a few, but I have no memory of about 12 days, and I would like pictures to show me what they saw everyday. Do you think your mom would want that?

    praying for you!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you folks. So much love for all of you:)
    Shereen Lorah

    ReplyDelete