Monday, October 19, 2009

Sunday and Monday (10/18, 19)

We visited mom on Sunday (dad was already there) and we had a great visit!
Mom was SUPER! She was completely herself. I didn't notice anything that made me worried (in her mood or speech). She was very coherent, and I was able to talk to her like normal. Huge, huge relief for all us kids. I can't explain what a blessing the visit was to us all.

However, today was a struggle. For the third time, Mom's scheduled surgery was canceled for today (Monday). God obviously has another direction.
Dad's email (sent this afternoon) explains it better than I can:

Hi Kids,
Today was hard. No surgery after waiting all day, not to mention the last four days. No appetite, though she was good and ate a little after she was allowed. She has been really good in terms of attitude, but she just hit a wall when they told her no surgery today. We are trying to look on the good side (like the fact that she's no longer critical!), but she just does not feel strong to keep waiting at this point.

Tonight was also the first time she (we) met the surgeon who will work on her pelvis. It was good to talk to him. I had not yet told Mom, however, what kind of recovery she was looking at. He told us that the tissue around the hip joint still needs significant healing before they can operate (like, weeks). He did say that maybe those weeks could be spent at home. That was a bright spot.
Again, we hope for surgery tomorrow. It was helpful to have the surgeon explain what kind of stress he is under. There are not many who do what he does. When somebody comes in with their leg bone poking out and blood everywhere, the "lower priority" people have to get bumped back. Mom is currently #4 on the list.

Pray that God will keep all of Philadelphia healthy tonight. Mostly, pray that he will strengthen Mom and us for the challenge. She feels at the end of her strength. She needs new courage from Christ.

.................................
I talked to Mom this evening on the phone; like Dad said, she is discouraged. She did not understand until today how long her healing is going to take. Now it sounds, too, like her pelvis surgery will not be for a while.
Thankfully, the nurses allowed Dad to sleep in Mom's room tonight with her-- just for companionship.
Please continue to pray for us kids; it's pretty rough to be without Mom and Dad for so long. Of course we have many people loving us and checking in on us ;)
We are so humbled by each of you; your faithful prayers and support are amazing. Please keep going-- I know prayer is not always easy, in fact, prayer is hard work. But it is powerful.
Thanks again.

3 comments:

  1. Tell her that I'm just glad that God has spared her life and that she is dearly LOVED!!
    I miss her and am thinking of trying to get down there on Wed. Would that be a possibility?Tell her that one way to look at things is: this is one less day she has to do HOUSEWORK!!! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for all of you!
    Glad to hear about her good days and sorry about her pain and disappointments. This is very normal ... healing often doesn't more forward in a straight line!

    For me, accepting the trauma that happened was easier (because we live on planet earth and accidents happen here) than accepting the long road of recovery that followed afterwards. Be wise with how much info you give her at this time about what the recovery process looks like.

    Somethings that helped me -
    I was encouraged when people noticed and acknowledged my pain (physically and emotionally) and my disappointments - I didn't feel as alone in my pain then.

    Encouragement about my progress, combined with acknowledging my pain and disappointments, gave me hope. (I can't stress recognizing the pain she is in, enough) I was not encouraged when it seemed people were sugarcoating my pain, by saying things like "It could have been worse," because at the moment it is the worse you've ever had!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I wish I could wave a magic wand over you all to make this go away or that it would be a day in the future in which you were looking backwards to this time! Know that even though we are not worshipping at CEFC with you, I am bringing you in front of the Lord every day in my prayers. We love you.

    ReplyDelete